Phone Number – (905) 291-1030

Co-op Work Permit

International co-op is a branch of International Experience Canada (IEC). This work permit enables international students to live and work in Canada. Although international students are permitted only to work part-time while studying. But there are study programs that may need the students to work full-time as an essential part of your education and enrol you in a co-op program. In general terms, co-op is also known as an internship.

If you are an international student seeking to get some work experience in Canada within your stream of education, then a co-op work permit is the right fit for you.

However, an IEC International co-op candidate is supposed to have a valid job offer in Canada before he/she arrives here. Also, the candidate is required to work for the same employer at the same location during their period of stay in Canada.

student, notebook, female-865073.jpg

Who can apply for a co-op work permit?

To be eligible to apply for a co-op work permit, one should: Hold a valid study permit for Canada Pursue a study course that requires him/her to work to complete the course Have his/her co-op placement accounting for half or less of the complete study program. Have a letter from the Canadian institute that confirms all students in the selected program are required to complete work placements to get their degree Ensure that you do not enrol in the following courses if you are looking for a co-op program: General interest courses Pathway programs for any other study program English or French as second languages