Phone Number – (905) 291-1030

Post Graduate Work Permit PGWP

Post Graduate Work Permit PGWP

The Post-Graduation work permit or PGWP is one of the integral aspects of Canadian immigration. This program enables international students graduating from Candian universities and colleges, to work in Canada for maximum three years post their graduation. Besides, providing work opportunities, this permit also helps the graduates in obtaining permanent residency of Canada in future.

PGWP is an open work permit enabling the student to work for any Candian employer, irrespective of location.

Who can apply for PGWP?

To be eligible for a PGWP, an international students must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Have completed at least 8 months long full-time study program in Canada
  • The study program should have been pursued from a Designated Learning Institute (DLI)
  • Submit a PGWP application within 180 days from the date of completion of the study program.

Also note,

  • If applying from within Canada, the applicant must have a valid status at the time of application
  • If the applicant’s study permit has been expired or is about to expire they may apply for visitor visa before proceeding with the PGWP application
  • Nevertheless PGWP applications submitted before the expiry of applicant’s study permit, the applicant is eligible to start working full time right away, even while their application is under process.

Which are the levels of study or programs that are eligible for PGWP?

Below given is the list of levels of study or programs that are eligible for PGWP:

  • Post-secondary public institutions like college, technical schools, university or CEGEP in Quebec; or
  • Post -secondary private institutions that operate under same rules as a public institute;
  • Candian private institutions that are authorized to award degree as per the provincial law to the students who are enrolled in study programs leading to a degree;
  • Secondary and post-secondary private schools (in Quebec) that provides qualifying programs of 900 hours or more, leading to a diploma certificate