Spousal Sponsorship

Unlike a few Westernized nations, the Canadian immigration system fully supports family unification. The shortcomings from the events following the Second World War triggered Canada’s generosity towards welcoming foreign individuals to unify families, strengthening its economy through diversification. As the second-largest category of immigrants trooping into Canada, hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals widely explore the family class under the Immigration Levels Plan.

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada can sponsor his/her spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner to immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident of Canada.

Eligibility requirement to sponsorship your spouse

You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:

  • You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor.